Tuesday, August 01, 2006

And on the second day...

Behold! There were more rehearsals. Lots and lots more rehearsals... All of which, I may add, went extremely well. The downside is that the only part of Buxton I've really managed to see is the Trinity Hall where we're rehearsing.

I did get to make a quick run up to the shops to get some more clean socks, some runners and a pair of trakky daks. I have this bright idea that I might get time to go running before breakfast.

On Monday evening, I went to see a performance of HMS Pinafore by a group called Opera Della Luna. They made a number of changes to the original score, but I thought they came up with an excellent result - a nice blend of modern and traditional theatrical conventions - I enjoyed it immensely and plan to buy the video when it comes out. Their website will give you some idea of what they are about (http://www.operadellaluna.org/) - think Bell Shakespeare without the nudity.

Tuesday I manage to get up and go running, more or less. Buxton is extremely hilly, so my morning run could more accurately be described as 'interval training' (where you work out intensely for a short time, then slack off, then build up again). I run whenever I hear a car approaching or see a pedestrian, and stagger along like a 90 year old when I think I'm unobserved. More rehearsals - it is pouring down rain, so I don't bother to go out during the break. Jill the Sandwich Angel provides snacks, fruit, drinks and sandwiches at the hall, so there's no need to brave the elements.

Impressions of Britain so far:

* There's plenty of good-quality fruit and veg available in summer. Ironically, quite a bit of it (particularly the organic stuff) comes from New Zealand. Bananas are much cheaper than they are in Australia (about 99p per kilogram, which is around $3).

* Lonely Planet reckons clothes are cheap. Not when you take account of the exchange rate, they bloody aren't!! I spend £5 for some socks and £75 for runners and two pairs of sports pants. When you work out that £1 = $3.40, that is the same or more as I'd pay for clothes in Australia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home