Sunday, July 30, 2006

First day in Buxton

Discoveries for today:

* The B&B managers have heard of soy milk. I can have cereal and ease back on the espressos.
* The B&B managers keep a cat, so they are obviously nice people.

The cat knows a sucker when he sees one, and charms me into letting him in when I get home. Well, he comes up and is all cute and furry, then belts past me before I can juggle my groceries in the door. I then spend about 10 minutes trying to coax the little bugger back outside again, as I wasn't sure if he was out for a reason. Eventually, I fool him into going out by pretending to go outside, then stepping back at the last minute and closing the door. Never fails!!

You will be surprised and astonished to hear that the heat wave has broken (no doubt an act of God in response to me unpacking most of my warmer clothes), so I have spent most of the day shivering in a t-shirt and thin cotton skirt. Seems I will need that pashmina after all!!

We have our first rehearsal at The Old Clubhouse, a pub opposite the Opera House. I find it easily enough, but nobody has opened up. So we sit outside The Old Clubhouse and read through our parts. Those of you who are familiar with Ruddygore will appreciate that reading Mad Margaret's part sitting outside a pub while opera patrons queue up to buy their tickets for the Sunday performances is somewhat embarrassing. Those of you who don't know Ruddygore will have to take my word for it that sitting outside a hotel giggling insanely attracts all manner of attention that I'd rather not have at this early stage.

Rehearsal finishes at 12, we eat at the Clubhouse then go on to the rehearsal hall for a music call. Our cast is superb!! Even at this early stage, everything sounds fantastic. I'm very much looking forward to getting back and having a video night so I can show you all how well it went.

Tonight I have a ticket to see Teatro Della Luna's performance of HMS Pinafore, which has been getting rave reviews, so I'll sign off here and nick back to my B&B to change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home